In previous article, we have mentioned, what is DBMS, Best Reporting Tool for ASP.NET and Tools to compare two SQL Server database, now in this article, I have mentioned best SQL Server tools which a SQL Server database developer should use.
If you haven't downloaded SQL Server, then first download and install SQL Server
1. SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) (Free)
When it comes to working with SQL Server, SQL Server management studio, is the first choice for most of the SQL Developers.
Some DB developer ask, Is SQL Server managment studio is free? then answer is "Yes". SSMS is free to use, but you may need to buy license of SQL Server.
Express version of SQL Server is free but other versions are paid.
It allows users to not only create databases and their elements but also write SQL queries of any complexity faster and easier.
- Free and easy to use
- Object Explorer
- Query Explorer
- Table Designer
- Database Designer
- Backup and Restore Database
- SQL Server Security Management
- Query Execution Plan
- Activity Monitor
2. DBVisualizer (Free)
DbVisualizer is the ultimate database tool for developers, analysts and DBAs. It provides features to write SQL to query and visualize your data.
Design and development features to manage your databases, tables, relations, indexes, triggers, users and etc.
- Advanced SQL editor
- Customize your workflow
- Autosave your work and resume where you left off
- Get insights without coding skills
- Generate SQL code by drag and drop and copy and paste it into other applications.
3. Paessler PRTG SQL Server Monitoring (Free)
Paessler PRTG SQL Server Monitoring is a tool that enables you to get all-important SQL queries at a glance. It helps you to optimize the performance of project.
- PRTG comes with preconfigured sensors for all major databases, such as Microsoft SQL and Oracle SQL.
- A comprehensive database monitoring tool
- Supports: Microsoft SQL, Oracle SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL
- Reduce downtime, optimize performance
- Important SQL queries at a glance
- PRTG also comes with WMI Microsoft SQL Server sensors that measure the performance of the database.
Database performance analyzer for SQL Server is a tool, so you can pinpoint the root cause of poor Microsoft SQL performance.
It helps you to check performance analysis and real-time monitoring of query performance, blocking etc.
- Intuitive performance analysis
- Blocking and deadlock analysis
- Workload and index advisors/recommendations
- Anomaly detection powered by machine learning
- Query performance analysis
- Real-time and historic monitoring
- Agentless architecture is safe to use in dev, test, and production, virtualized or in the cloud, Amazon AWS , EC2, RDS, and Azure.
- SQL Server activity alerting and reporting that is designed to be comprehensive and not overload your inbox.
- Use an intelligent algorithm that gets better over time to understand your SQL Server wait behavior so you can see and alert when patterns deviate from expected.
5. DBSchema (Free)
DbSchema is a universal database designer for out-of-the-box schema management and documentation, sharing the schema in the team, and deploying on different databases.
Visual tools can help developers, database administrators, and decision-makers to query, explore and manage the data
- Connect to Database and Reverse Engineer the Schema
- Interactive Diagrams
- Visual Query Builder
- Relational Data Explorer
- Automation Scripts
- Schema Synchronization
- Database Reports
- DbShell CLI
6. SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)
SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) is a separate component (workload) of Visual Studio designed for development of SQL Server relational databases.
SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) transforms database development by introducing a ubiquitous, declarative model that spans all the phases of database development inside Visual Studio.
Developers can use familiar Visual Studio tools for database development. Tools such as: code navigation, IntelliSense, language support that parallels what is available for C# and Visual Basic, platform-specific validation, debugging, and declarative editing in the Transact-SQL editor.
- Integrated in Visual Studio
- Create database using Visual Studio familiar design
- SQL Server Object Explorer, and create custom queries, views, and stored procedures within the Visual Studio environment.
- IntelliSense Technology
- Reassembly and debugging
- Database refactoring
- Navigation by code
- Declarative changes in the Transact-SQL editor
7. DBComparer (Free)
DBComparer is a professional database comparison tool for analyzing the differences in Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (and 2005) database structures, and you can even use it for new version like 2012 or 2014.
This database comparison tool has a clean and straight-forward user interface.
Results are clearly presented so that you can immediately see the differences in your databases
- Automate compare database
- Compare all database objects or selected ones only
- Free to use
- A wide variety of options for compariso
- Advanced visual build tree interface for an intuitive visual representation of any differences
- Compare databases using all or selected object properties
- Built-in text differences control with SQL syntax highlighting
8. DBeaver (Free)
Free multi-platform database tool for developers, database administrators, analysts and all people who need to work with databases. Supports all popular databases: MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, Sybase, MS Access, Teradata, Firebird, Apache Hive, Phoenix, Presto, etc.
- Data viewer and editor
- NoSQL and BigData database support
- You can generate random data (or “mock" data) for tables. And this data should look like the real data.
- SQL editor
- Import and export of scripts
- Visual Query Builder
- Metadata browser
- Data transfer using formats like CSV, HTML, XML, JSON, XLS, XLSX
- Automatically generated ER diagrams for a database/schema
- Ability to compare several database objects of any type: tables, schemas, entire databases, etc.
Powerful and reliable scripts written by SQL Server experts! Contains 28 scripts written by expert DBAs, SQL Server MVPs, and Redgate’s SQL developers.
Streamline repeated administration and scripting tasks with quick and easy access to scripts.
Easily build custom user interfaces around any T-SQL or IronPython scri
10. SQL Formatter
SQL Formatter, is free online SQL Server tool which allows you to format SQL Query and make it more readable
That's it, we will add more SQL Server tools in future, if we have missed anyone let us know in comments section.
You may also like to read: